Sunday, January 3, 2010

work work work

This weekend was cold and very windy. Temps in the 20's and 30's, and winds as strong as 25-35 miles per hour.

I decided to stay fairly close to home, but did get out each day despite the weather. I wasn't expecting to see all that much. If I had traveled to the Eastern Shore of Maryland or Delaware (100 miles each way, 2 hr drive each way) the wind and cold would have meant that everything would have been hunkered down. And the water would be frozen or choppy at best.

What I hoped to get lucky and see was an owl. Maybe a Great Horned Owl or Barred. But that wasn't in the cards. Here's some of what I did see:

Hermit Thrush(maybe)


Possum


American Robin


Red-Tailed Hawk


I'm glad I got out. I never know what I might find or see, or photograph. I do however know if I stayed home I would have seen nothing... Work work work, getting out and making an effort, that's the most fundamental thing I do to get good photos. I go out shooting all the time.

If the above are not 'big successes' as far as images themselves, here are a couple of recent ones that I would call successes.

A Red-Fox at Bombay Hook NWR with a meal:
Success


And a Delmarva Fox Squirrel does the closest thing to posing for me:
Delmarva Fox Squirrel @ Blackwater Refuge

The reward for today's trip is getting out and trying, and the sights I did see, but also the trip will help in my searches for new spots in future seasons. As with 'my heron' finding a good spot that's close to home is really welcome, and lets me shoot before or after work, and make more frequent trips to a spot. Where I went today I spotted a few potential Osprey Platforms, and they were as close as 'my osprey' - but not as far of a drive. Now that would be cool.

MD Osprey

(this is a great time of year to search for new spots to work in Spring...)

Happy Shootin'
-Jon

-50-

.

Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Restaurant Pizzerie Vechile Coline said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.